LIGHT!

     We were blessed to attend a winter preaching retreat in Hanover, VA this past weekend. The preacher said, "God is Light!"   (See here for the whole thought-provoking sermon - http://www.hanoverchurchofchrist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/WinterRetreat_Session3.mp3)

     The first time I ever heard that God is not to be pictured as some old man with a beard sitting on a throne in the clouds and Jesus with blue eyes, long hair and scarred hands sitting beside Him but rather as bright, blazing light/glory I thought to myself, "How boring and unintriguing!  Just this great ball of blinding white light!"  With amazement I realized how wrong I was the first time I ever visited Times Square.  Who wouldn't want to visit famous Times Square in the heart of New York City?  I was excited to get there!  Standing in the middle of the square and looking up all around me I saw....tons of huge billboards!  What a great disappointment!  But wait... it was strangely beautiful!  And fascinating and captivating! In the evening dusk, the lights of the electric billboards danced and glimmered and wowwed my eyes!  The light....it made even dumb billboards beautiful!  Over time I started to think about it more and began to realize how fascinating light really is!  I started a list....
Sparkle of light reflected off glitter
Flickering candlelight reflected in your beloved's eyes
Christmas lights twinkling to music
Bling! of light bouncing off multi-faceted jewels
Spectrum of light revealed in a rainbow
My favorite painter, Thomas Kinkade's paintings of soft, warm light

And how powerful light is!  In Ghana we use cloth diapers to save money.  One day my friend and I took dry diapers off the clothesline.  "How strong the sunlight is!" she exclaimed holding up a clean, white diaper.  "I thought this one would never come clean again but look how the sun has bleached it pure white!"  The Light is cleansing, purifying, strong!  Like a laser, like the UV ray water purifiers used in Ghana, like the sunlight which I exposed Zion to each day as a newborn to heal his body of jaundice, like .... maybe you can add to the list.  God is LIGHT! I don't know if I'll ever understand and comprehend that just as scientists still don't understand what light really is... energy, motion?  But I begin to marvel and be wowwed by Him!   And just think... this Light dwells in us who are Christians!  Pretty enLIGHTening!
                                             in Times Square - was much prettier in the dark
  

Comments

Donate

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

A Time to Build Up, Laugh, and Dance

A Do-It-Yourself Move

Field Day Fun!